I wanted to share this picture of the Angry Birds rice crispy treats I made for my friend, Peter. They were made with good old fashion Rice Krispy cereal and marshmallow fondant. The beaks and the party hats were made out of Starburst and Airheads. Let me know if you want me to post a tutorial!
Thanks Paula for wanting to learn how to make these fun treats! Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any questions!!
Here are some easy instructions to follow; I will post separate links on how to make each component. Then assembling the birds & pigs is quick & easy!
1. Classic Rice Krispies: you will need to make a big batch depending on how many you are making! (http://www.ricekrispies.com/en_US/recipes/the-original-treats.html#/en_US/recipes/the-original-treats)
- Mold the characters: You can make them however big or small you want them!
ii. Blue Bird – Round ball (make sure they are smaller than the red birds)
iii. Yellow Bird – Triangle
iv. Green Pigs – Round oval
2. Marshmallow Fondant: the color skin for the characters (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marshmallow-fondant/)
- Divide fondant in 5 balls (red, blue, yellow, green, & a small ball of the original white)
- To dye the fondant, just add a drop or 2 of the desired food coloring and knead the fondant until it is at the color you want! (I would use gloves for this step so the dye doesn’t ruin your hands! And remember to use clean gloves for each color!)
3. Body parts: Starburst candy, Airheads candy, Black food coloring gel, and the extra white marshmallow fondant. Unwrap the candy and put on a microwave safe plate. Microwave candy for 10 seconds or until it is soft enough to mold with. Just add little water on the back of the candy to act as the “glue”. **You can use any candy you think will work as well! I know the colored Tootsie Roll candy would work great! I just had left over Halloween candy from the office :)**
- Red Bird – Yellow Starburst candy, used a butter knife to split open the beak (beak), Red Airheads candy (“feathers” on the head), Marshmallow fondant (eye), Black gel food coloring (pupil & eyebrows)
- Blue Bird – Yellow Starburst candy, used a butter knife to indent candy to look a beak opening (beak), Blue Airheads candy (“feathers” on the head), Marshmallow fondant (eye), Black gel food coloring (pupil)
- Yellow Bird – Orange Starburst candy, used a butter knife to indent candy to look a beak opening (beak), Yellow Starburst candy (“feathers” on the head), Marshmallow fondant (eye), Black gel food coloring (pupil & eyebrows)
- Green Pig – Starburst candy (party hats), Green Marshmallow fondant (snout & ears) White Marshmallow fondant (eye), Black gel food coloring (pupil & nostrils & ear holes & eyebrows)
- Nest & Eggs – I had extra rice krispies and white fondant so I made a nest and molded the fondant into mini eggs